Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Ethnic Superheroes

I've talked about the desi Spiderman before (as an aside, isn't it odd that the Indian Spiderman comics are not available in India?). I heard about this last week on The Daily Show, but here's an online article about it.

Now I'll say this about the stuff I saw on TV. The heroines are very classical "Western" heroines. Busty, skimpily clad. No objections there, but isn't this an Arabic comic? I wonder how it'll be received.

Also, check out the name of the enemies of the Arabic heroes: the United Liberation Force, and the Zios Army. The ULF ... is that a smirk in the direction of The Coalition of the Ready & Willing (or whatever it's called)? And ...

... Zios??

It's one letter away (and here's a clue: that letter in "N") from reigniting some old enemities, isn't it?

Update: The BBC Article had a link to the comic book publisher. You can see what I'm talking about there. Also, the English site seems to have been directly translated from Arabic. They should really review their work over there. :-)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?